TMJ Treatment in Cape May Court House
Sunshine Dentistry provides treatment for disorders of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) to patients in Cape May Court House and surrounding communities. To book an appointment for TMJ treatment, send us a message, or call 609-465-5415.
What Is a TMJ Disorder?
A TMJ disorder refers to one of several conditions affecting the temporomandibular joint. The joint that bears the burden of connecting your lower jaw to your skull is the reason we can chew, speak, yawn, etc. It’s also a joint that is vulnerable to inflammation, pressure, and even dislocation.
Dentists rather than physicians treat the most common causes of TMJ disorders. The reason? Most often, TMJ is caused by:
- Teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Misaligned bite (malocclusion)
- Teeth clenching (often a side effect of stress or anxiety)
Symptoms of TMJ may also develop due to the following:
- Acute trauma to the jaw or face
- Joint derangement (dislocation of the jaw, displaced disc in the joint)
Although dentists treat the majority of patients with TMJ disorders, patients who are suffering due to acute facial trauma, or structural problems in the joint may require jaw surgery.
How We Treat TMJ
Dentists treat TMJ disorders with conservative treatments that may include a combination of any of the following:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Recommendations for lifestyle changes (stress reduction, soft food diet temporarily, icing the jaw)
- Custom oral appliances (splint therapy)
- Orthodontic treatment (Invisalign, Clear Aligners)
Custom oral appliances prevent teeth grinding and clenching while you sleep. This alleviates pressure on the joint. For example, Vivos oral appliances are one of the most advanced nonsurgical therapies for conditions such as TMJ and obstructive sleep apnea.
If you experience symptoms of TMJ due to an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite, orthodontic treatment with clear aligners (Invisalign) may be necessary to eliminate excess pressure on your jaw joint.
Common Signs of TMJ Disorders
Symptoms of a TMJ disorder may be either progressive (gradually worsening) or may come on suddenly. Although pain in the jaw is a telltale sign of a TMJ disorder, other symptoms may arise including:
- Clicking noise in your jaw when speaking, chewing, yawning
- Popping sound in the joint when speaking, chewing, yawning
- Difficulty opening your mouth fully
- Sensation (even temporarily) that your jaw has locked
- Pain in the muscles of the face above and around the jaw joint
- Pain in the neck or near the ears
Although TMJ may not resolve without treatment, in other cases, simple lifestyle modifications may be all it takes for inflammation or irritation in the joint to subside. To be on the safe side, if you develop symptoms of TMJ, it’s best to schedule a dental appointment.
Why Choose Sunshine Dentistry?
Sunshine Dentistry is a top-reviewed, award-winning dental practice in Cape May Court House. Named a 2022 “Best of Jersey Shore” service provider in the categories of Dentist, Cosmetic Dentist, and Pediatric Dentist, our practice is equipped with all of the latest technologies and dental tools to provide patients with premium dental and oral health care.
Our dentists have been named some of New Jersey’s Top Doctors in the field of Dentistry, and continually seek out the most advanced treatments to help patients dealing with TMJ. We provide treatment for TMJ for patients of all ages.